Standalone Fuji Frontier SP2000 Scanner

PixieLab

Hi everyone. I'm pretty much new to this. 
I have acquired 2 FP350 and 2 SP2000 recently. I'm in the process of trying to get everything connected. Service people is a bit scarce in my country and if you find them they will charge you a lot for basic work. 

So far I have connected the one SP with the printer. Haven't tested the end result but the communication works. I'd like to use the other SP2000 as a stand alone scanner. I have no clear picture of what software and/or hardware I'm going to need. Just for the info, I can use both a Mac (preferable) and a Windows system. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Regards, 

Athos.

FMPC is the PC that controls the Printer, correct? 

Currently my hardware besides the fujis comes with one more PC that runs the Print software. That one doesn't have an IEEE 1394 Board/Firewire PCB and I think previously it was accessed via Network. The scanner I as have figured out was connected directly with the firewire on FP350 board. 

I hope this description helps a bit more. 

FMPC is the PC, which can control printer, scanner, or both of them. This computer has one, or two firewire cards. FMPC is not necessary to use scanner with printer, or without it.

Computer, which is without firewire is server. It is enough to use scanner stand alone. Just on scanner menu disable printer and can use scanner stand alone. If scanner software is version 7.7 then need downgrade it, because this version can't be used without printer.

On your scanner installed A1, C4/C5 and some optional FDIA modules. On server installed C4/C5 and some optional modules. 

MS01 can be used also. Can use it on configuration, which you have now ( scanner computer + server computer ) - without adding FMPC.

If you want use stand alone printer then need add FMPC and server. On server can be C4/C5 ( the same, which is on original server ) and on FMPC should be D20 . Other possibility FE software - S2 on server and S9 on FMPC. Third possibility is MS01 ( option for  server and for FMPC ) .

Edited by Minilab service

2 minutes ago, Minilab service said:

FMPC is the PC, which can control printer, scanner, or both of them. This computer has one, or two firewire cards. FMPC is not necessary to use scanner with printer, or [...]

MS01 can be used also. Can use it on configuration, which you have now ( scanner computer + server computer ) - without adding FMPC.

Ok now it's more clear to me :) Well that other PC doesn't have firewire cards (I was about to order one), so I suppose it's the server. 

I guess Scanner Computer + Server Computer that means a small local network, right?

I have no access to software nor they gave me any installation CDs.

Thanks! AF.

You have scanner computer + server. They are enough to run scanner stand alone. If A1 is older - do not need reinstall anything. Just disable printer. If software is 7.7 - need downgrade it.

To use stand alone printer need FMPC and server. Up to you what you use there - FDIA, FE, or MS01.

Before disconnecting from scanner menu make scanner and printer backups ( to floppy ) . You need them to install printer, or restore scanner ( if something go wrong ) . Backup copy from floppy to some other area. Only then can be sure, that have them. Can be that floppy will not be readable. Then make backup again ( into other floppy ) . If floppy doesn't work it is possible to make backup somewhere else ( for example into virtual disk ) .

3 minutes ago, Minilab service said:

You have scanner computer + server. They are enough to run scanner stand alone.

Yeap I understand this. But in order to communicate with each other I will have to add them on a Network. My server doesn't have a firewire card unless I install one and problem solved otherwise the only way to have both communicating is a small hub.  

Your server will be used with scanner. You do not need firewire there. Just need :
make backups
on scanner computer software disable printer
disconnect printer firewire.

Network will be the same ( between server and scanner computer ) . 

To connect stand alone printer you need other server and FMPC.

Edited by Minilab service

Yes, can install server on old MAC, but not directly. Need install some virtual machine ( with Windows ) and install server software there.l

FMPC can't be virtual. Firewire board should be on exact computer. It is very difficult and in most cases impossible to transfer PCI from real computer into virtual.

If have questions about software - write private message.