SP3000 problem to scan 35mm color negativ

Hans337

I have a problem with the NC100AY negativ carrier. The carrier no longer accepts 35mm color negatives, does not feed film correctly for output. The last frame of a strip remains in the stage. With black and white negatives everything works fine.  Color negative film is also handled flawlessly in black and white film mode, of course without color.

I have cleaned sensors and rollers several times. No error display.  What could be the cause?

best Hans

NC100AY colorfilmstrip stuck.jpg

In black and white mode there is no problem. Also in color mode last frame is always proper scaned no matter if the stip has 4, 5 or 6 frames. But always last frame will stuck in carrier like shown in foto. This only happens if carrier feeds the film, mostly does not take it.

Hans

At first I got stuck on the one film, tried everything to get the error to stop, wanted to take the stage from the second SP3000, although then the calibration didn't fit and left everything.
Two days later I just skipped the film and the whole job ran smoothly to the end. It was definitely the special film. It has no manufacturer's mark on it and dates from before 1977 and has a dot of cyan between each of the perforation holes at the top and bottom, as you can see in the photo. Among the thousands of films (mostly B&W) I have scaned, there has never been a problem like this. All of the color negatives that were still tangible had none of these dots.

Probably one of the sensors can't handle the dots in cyan. I did add black dots to the top and bottom of another strip of film, it scanned fine and was output complete.

Best Hans

It's probably more due to the light film base.

I remember many years ago when Kodak first introduced the T-400CN C41 B/W film, the base was extremely light and it caused no end of problems with the film carrier sensors not seeing the film properly.
The solution at the time was to recalibrate the sensors using this light based film, some carriers refused to calibrate, so had to have the sensors replaced.

I think that maybe 3M film, it was truly awful even back in the day!

Thanks for posting back with your findings.

Dave, your guess is correct. It's the density of the film base. For the particular film it was D 0.21, for the films that were scanned without problems the density was D 0.25.
I put a raw film strip in the fixing bath and got a film strip with D 0.20. On this I painted the pictures as frames. In B/W mode the SP3000 processed the strip without problems, in color negative mode it stopped after the first prescan and reported problems recognizing the perforation. Then I used a marker pen to paint the film strip to a density D 0.23 and it scanned and output the strip without any problems.
So the limit is between D 0.21 and D 0.23 with the instantaneous settings.

Best Hans