2901 - 2 problems - Ink Ribbon advance motor & Close Down Not offering to do auto cleaning of upper rollers.

Big Dave

Hello to all,

today I'm asking for help with these 2 problems

The CVP was there one day, and not there the next....  since Ink Ribbon advance motor does not seem advancing the ink ribbon, so the dot matrix print head is plugging away and printing but nothing shows since the ink ribbon is now "empty" - in output check mode, ink ribbon motor check doesn't spin the motor at all, but pulling the motor out and applying 24v to it (it's a DC motor) it works just fine in both directions (it's very high torque).  If we advance the ribbon manually, then print a 4R, it prints fine, but fades away after a few more prints.

Upon inspection, the ink ribbon doesn't move, because you can see where it's been "printing" and there's no ink on the ribbon directly above the print head pins.

I've tried with a backup back print unit, and same thing, ribbon doesn't get advanced.

what's wrong and what needs to be fixed, repaired or adjusted ? 

Next:

On daily shutdown, Close Down checks - the next to last question was to perform "auto cleaning" -- well, as of yesterday, it's not asking us that question during shutdown -- even though we are running a sufficient number of prints (100+) through the machine daily.

How do we get that turned back "ON" ??

Thanks !

Edited by Big Dave

In most cases the problem with the CVP is either a bad ribbon, or the actual ribbon advance motor has failed, I've replaced many over the years, one of the gears in the motor gearbox breaks and causes the gearbox to jam, which then damages the motor.

For the "auto cleaning" I think it will only allow one per day, could there be a problem with the date and time on the PC?

Edited by Dave S

Hi @kodak_service, will check and report back after hours today.   -- CVP PCB was replaced last night.  The level sensors on all the liquids (effluent, replenishment and working tanks) are all good, no buildup, none are stuck, and all move freely.

Hi @Dave S the ribbon is in good shape, other than the couple of spots where it was parked over the pins.  I thought it was the ribbon, so I initially replaced with new, hand spun the ribbon while fitting the cartridge onto the print head, and it seemed "normal".
The motor seems fine, but I've never listened to it by itself before, so it's a new sound to me, but it's a clicky sound as it slowly rotates the ribbon.  Sound about right ?  I even tried applying a very heavy pressure onto the motor spindle with my fingers and it had no problems turning.  At 12 volts or 24 volts, it performed well. -- BOTH CVP printer motors were manually tested, and they sounded the same and spun the same.  

As far as the Auto Cleaning - it did not ask if we wanted to do an Auto Cleaning on Sunday night, BUT is that within a 24 hour time frame ?  or just "during business hours" ?  Because Saturday, we didn't shut it down until after midnight (aka:sunday morning) -- so maybe that was it -- Last night's shutdown (Monday), it DID ask about Auto cleaning, so I was just overly suspicious, so that's resolved and not an issue now.  Thanks for the info !

You can test the operation of the ribbon advance motor in Maintenance, Output check, Printer, Paper Advance Section.

It shouldn’t make a clicking sound, the clicking sound is probably due to the broken gear in the motor gearbox. It should just smoothly rotate.

CVP Motor Gearbox.jpg

Thank you @kodak_service - the CVP is printing again.  I guess the old board quit supplying whatever voltage was needed to drive the motor ?

But all components on the board look fine.  Fuse is good, no bulging capacitors, no heat, burn or scorch marks on the PCB, etc.  Other than a little bit of dust, it looks brand new.

1 hour ago, Dave S said:

You can test the operation of the ribbon advance motor in Maintenance, Output check, Printer, Paper Advance Section.

It shouldn’t make a clicking sound, the clicking sound is probably due to the broken gear in the motor gearbox. It should just smoothly rotate.

CVP Motor Gearbox.jpg

Hi @Dave S, both motors in operation sounds like a fast ticking clock, but there is no hesitation in the rotation of the output gear.  I tore apart the spare motor and there were no broken teeth.

The loud clicking was from the actual ink ribbon.  There's a metal piece in there that clicks as the ribbon is pulled back into the cartridge.

@Dave S I stand corrected.  You are right. 

After reading your post again, tested the original print head motor again and it spun fine for about 20 seconds, then it froze up.

Tore it apart, and looked at each gear, and yup, you were right.  There is a tooth missing from the gear that contacts the metal gear from the motor.  My initial inspection wasn't done very well.... Running the little motor without the gearbox ran just fine and spins really fast.  This explains the rapid tick-tick-tick sound.

So, now, I know that I need to replace the motor assembly or that one gear with the one broken tooth.  It's funny because it's got plastic teeth on a metal body.

Question:   Can the 1 gear be replaced ?

or Can the 1 missing tooth be added ?   Using something like JB Weld for plastic ?  Plastic Weld

If your CVP printer motor is making a ticking sound, it's got a broken tooth and needs to be replaced.

Yes, that has been my exact experience, when you manually turn it it frees it up, but after a short while it jams up again when operated by the motor.

It’s not really a missing tooth, the gear has split at that point, it will not be repairable.

Yes the tick-tick sound is the giveaway to the broken gear in the gearbox.

You can’t get the individual parts for these motors, I tried to order just some motors for the cutter unit on a different machine as I had a load of good gearboxes, I was told by the manufacturer that I can only buy the motor together with the gearbox.

So you will need to replace the whole motor and gearbox.
The original motor is 24V DC around 30 RPM, Torque 0.49Nm

Any similar sized motor will do, the specifications are not that critical, it just needs enough torque to turn the ribbon.

I have used Micro Motors RH158 200:1 24V before, it was a little bigger than the original motor, so I had to slightly modify the CVP outer cover to make it fit.

Just make sure the new motor is running in the same direction as the original motor, you may have to swap the + and - wires around to achieve this.

Edited by Dave S