How to enter service mode on QSS-2301?

AS2301

I am a Noritsu QSS-2301 user in Japan.

My floppy disk has scratched so i can't use it, is there another way?

I need to enter the service password to enter the QSS-2301 service mode, but when I enter the password displayed on this site, it is not authenticated https://minilablaser.com/information/qsspassword/.
The password for January 14, 2024 is displayed as 7000 on this site, but it does not seem to be authenticated when I enter this password.

Is the method of calculating the password that should be entered into QSS-2301 the same as the method shown on this forum?

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, I look forward to your answer.

Sakano

S__46432263_0.jpg

S__46432262_0.jpg

S__46432260_0.jpg

Edited by AS2301

Your minilab is QSS2901,, or QSS2301 ? You wrote both of them.
To enter QSS2901 service menu press Menu. After that on small keyboard press F and -1 ( on standard keyboard F1 and F9 ) .
On pop up box enter day password ( can calculate it ) . 
If you have service floppy and you insert it then service password always is 2260 . Of course floppy disk and floppy drive should be working. The same service floppy for all Noritsu minilabs and film processors.  You can make service floppy yourself. On any floppy write file "service.dat" and you have service floppy. 

Edited by Minilab service

• AS2301 changed the title to How to enter service mode on QSS-2301?

I'm not sure but it is possible the daily password code only worked from the 2611 onwards.
Make sure the date on the machine matches what is displayed on the website; if it still doesn't work you will need to put the service.dat file on to a new floppy disk.

3 hours ago, PHOTOLABPART.COM said:

RESPECTED SIR 

PLEASE TRY PW TO 2260

THANKS 

Thanks for your reply PHOTOLABPART.COM.

The password "2260" was also handwritten on my service floppy. I tried to enter that password into my QSS2301 but it asked me to insert a floppy disk.

Currently, the floppy disk drive and service floppy are damaged and neither is installed in my QSS2301.

Is there any way to enter the service mode without inserting the service floppy and just entering the password?

Also, I was told by another contributor that there is a way to produce a new service floppy, Do you have any information on producing a service floppy?

Best Regards
Sakano

3 hours ago, Minilab service said:

Your minilab is QSS2901,, or QSS2301 ? You wrote both of them.
To enter QSS2901 service menu press Menu. After that on small keyboard press F and -1 ( on standard keyboard F1 and F9 ) .
On pop up box enter day password ( can calculate it ) . 
If you have service floppy and you insert it then service password always is 2260 . Of course floppy disk and floppy drive should be working. The same service floppy for all Noritsu minilabs and film processors.  You can make service floppy yourself. On any floppy write file "service.dat" and you have service floppy. 

Hello Minilab service, thanks for your reply.

There was a mistake in my input. My minilab is a QSS2301.
Currently, the floppy disk drive and service floppy are damaged and neither is installed in my QSS2301.
Do you know how to enter service mode without service floppy?

Can I use the method you gave me to produce the service floppy myself for my QSS2301?

If that method will work for my QSS2301, I would like to know more about how to create a new service floppy myself. 
Do I download the "service.dat" file and create the service floppy?

Best Regards.

Sakano

3 hours ago, Dave S said:

I'm not sure but it is possible the daily password code only worked from the 2611 onwards.
Make sure the date on the machine matches what is displayed on the website; if it still doesn't work you will need to put the service.dat file on to a new floppy disk.

Thanks for the reply DAVE S.

Yes, my minilab is a QSS2301, so it is possible that the daily password did not work. I entered the date shown on the machine as January 14, 2024.

Also, I was told by another contributor that there is a way to duplicate the service floppy, Do you have any information on duplicating the service floppy?

Best Regards.
Sakano

Edited by AS2301

It is possible to make another service floppy disk, you will need a PC with a working floppy drive, but if your floppy drive is not working on your 2301, I don't know how you are going to read the disk.

The floppy drive on the 2301 is a NEC FD1138T which has a 26 pin connector, which is different to the standard 34 pin floppy drives used in a standard PC.

Maybe you can get an emulator drive with the same connector configuration.

Edited by Dave S

Instead of NEC FD1138T ( 26 pin connector ) is possible to use standard floppy drive ( 34 pin connector + 4 pin power connector ) . Just need to make adapter. Pinout can see here :
https://github.com/barbeque/pc9821-floppy-adapter

https://www.leadedsolder.com/2018/09/15/pc9821-floppy-adapter.html 

It is easy to make service floppy. On floppy need write one file. To write floppy can use standard floppy drive. Just on minilab should be 26 pin floppy drive.

26 pin floppy drives can find on QSS22 and similar minilabs. Also they were used on very old computers.

Edited by Minilab service

6 hours ago, Minilab service said:

Instead of NEC FD1138T ( 26 pin connector ) is possible to use standard floppy drive ( 34 pin connector + 4 pin power connector ) . Just need to make adapter. Pinout can see here :
https://github.com/barbeque/pc9821-floppy-adapter

https://www.leadedsolder.com/2018/09/15/pc9821-floppy-adapter.html 

It is easy to make service floppy. On floppy need write one file. To write floppy can use standard floppy drive. Just on minilab should be 26 pin floppy drive.

26 pin floppy drives can find on QSS22 and similar minilabs. Also they were used on very old computers.

Thank you for your reply Minilab service.

Is it correct that the file to be written to the floppy is "service.dat" and its contents should be empty?

Sakano

On 1/14/2024 at 6:26 PM, Minilab service said:

Yes, if on floppy is this file then minilab can read it and get into service mode. Floppy disk can be empty, or here can be other files.

I created a service floppy using the method you described, but I could not get into service mode because it said "282. format  is incorrect(282.フォーマット形式が不正です。)".
I tried it with both the one formatted with Windows 11 and the one formatted with QSS-2301 when the floppy disk drive was working properly, but neither would read.
The floppy disk drive may be malfunctioning.
I am looking for a replacement for the FD1138T, which may or may not work depending on the P/N. Do you know of any?

Sakano

IMG_4023.jpg

What you use to read floppy on your QSS2301? Try to format floppy on minilab. Try on minilab into floppy write files ( for example make backup ) . 

NEC FD1138T also used on on QSS22 and few other old Noritsu models. Might be you can find this minilab dissembled for parts. 

QSS2301 floppy drive ( FD1138T ) - Noritsu part number I080015-00 . QSS23 floppy unit ( drive + holder ) - Noritsu part number Z015361-01 ( QSS22 - p.n. Z014796-01 ) .

Check the format on the machine is set to 1.44MB in Maintenance, Machine specification.

The floppy disk format must be DOS.

If you have a Noritsu film processor, you may be able to use that drive, as early V series machines also used the NEC FD1138T, you can also use it to format the floppy disk, but again make sure it is set on 1.44MB format and not 1.2MB.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:45 PM, Minilab service said:

What you use to read floppy on your QSS2301? Try to format floppy on minilab. Try on minilab into floppy write files ( for example make backup ) . 

NEC FD1138T also used on on QSS22 and few other old Noritsu models. Might be you can find this minilab dissembled for parts. 

QSS2301 floppy drive ( FD1138T ) - Noritsu part number I080015-00 . QSS23 floppy unit ( drive + holder ) - Noritsu part number Z015361-01 ( QSS22 - p.n. Z014796-01 ) .

I formatted the floppy in Minilab.
Next, I wrote "Service.dat" on a Windows PC. The contents of "Service.dat" are empty.
Then I inserted it into Minilab and entered 2240.
However, I could not enter the service mode. Nothing changes on the screen.

The FD1138T has been repaired and can read, write, and format without any problems.

Is there something wrong with the operation?

On 1/17/2024 at 12:53 AM, Dave S said:

Check the format on the machine is set to 1.44MB in Maintenance, Machine specification.

The floppy disk format must be DOS.

If you have a Noritsu film processor, you may be able to use that drive, as early V series machines also used the NEC FD1138T, you can also use it to format the floppy disk, but again make sure it is set on 1.44MB format and not 1.2MB.

Thank you for your reply Dave S.

I just repaired my FD1138T and formatted it in my minilab.
I put in a floppy with "service.dat" wrote on it and entered the password 2240 and the screen did not change.
As a test, I inserted a floppy that had just been formatted and got "281. file not found."

On minilab  should be selected 1.44 MB floppy ( not 1.2 MB ) .

To make sure, that minilab floppy drive works try to make backup. Then check on other computer - you see files, or not.

Test service floppy disc on other Noritsu minilab  - QSS35 or older ( QSS29, QSS32, QSS33, or other ) .

Password is 2260 ( not 2240 ) .

Try on floppy write two files - service.dat and noritsu.sys . Might be on old minilab model need both of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your answer.

I repaired the floppy disk drive. I then obtained a service floppy by other means.
The service floppy contained only "SERVICE.DAT".

I was able to enter the service mode successfully.
Thank you very much for giving me all kinds of information.

Edited by AS2301

• 1 month later...
Dana 13. 01. 2024. u 16:51 Minilab servis je rekao:

Vaš minilaboratorij je QSS2901, ili QSS2301? Napisao si oboje.
Za ulazak u servisni izbornik QSS2901 pritisnite Izbornik. Nakon toga na maloj tipkovnici pritisnite F i -1 (na standardnoj tipkovnici F1 i F9).
U skočni okvir unesite zaporku dana (možete je izračunati). 
Ako imate servisnu disketu i umetnete je tada servisna lozinka uvijek 2260 . Naravno da bi disketa i disketni pogon trebali raditi. Ista servisna disketa za sve Noritsu minilaboratorije i filmske procesore. Servisnu disketu možete napraviti sami. Na bilo koju disketu napišite datoteku "service.dat" i imate servisnu disketu. 

Dear, I have a problem on my norits qss2301.  I had a problem with the shutter driver, and while I was waiting to receive the part, the machine was disconnected from the power supply, and when I changed the shutter driver, everything on the machine went wrong.  as soon as I turned on the car, it threw error no232.  something with the float of waste chemicals, etc.  it disturbed my temperature and when I go to the settings it asks for my password.  I entered the number 2260 but nothing.  I don't know if I have a service data floppy.  Please help what to do.  thank you very much.