how to setup Noritsu HS-1800 on VirtualBox?

dingo_

hey everyone,

I tried to copy the same instructions from the video for LS600 VirtualBox install. But it didn't work out. Like at all. Want to us Windows 10 via Mac OS.

I have install disks for the HS-1800 scanner (drivers, backup data, software[?]) and EZ Controller 7.0 - would like to use scanner with EZ Controller on VirtualBox Windows 10. When trying to install "WinstDvr" an error message comes up that there is no INF file(?). Unfamiliar with that. The other issue that I am running into is that the scanner isn't found on VirtualBox. The dongle seems to be working seeing as it is lit up when plugged in - VirtualBox also recognizes that it is there.

Honestly I don't quite know where to begin and would appreciate any help. Has anyone come into this issue before?

I saw a somewhat similar thread but it doesn't look like there was a resolution to it. Would anyone be able to help me out, point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

To connect scanner is enough system software. Driver is included there.

Install HS-1800 system software. On W10 64 bit should be HS-1800 system software version 7.00 and newer. The latest - version 7.10 .

On version 7.00 driver is without digital signature. To install it on virtual Windows need temporary disable driver signature enforcement. To do it need restart with options ( select troubleshoot and disable it ) .

64 bit .inf file is WinUsbDrv\01009 ( file HS-1800.inf ) This driver is without digital signature. 
When driver is with signature 64 bit .inf file is \WinUsbDrvWithCat\01009 ( file HS-1800.inf ) This driver has digital signature. It is only on version 7.10 .

Access .inf file from device manager and you install driver. If any problems to install driver can run InstDrv_amd64.bat ( the same folders ) .

EZ controller is just scanning interface. The latest EZ controller version is 8.10 . On W10 should be version 6.60 and later.

On EZ controller can install optional modules. For scanner at least install Digital Masking, Red Eye and 6 x 12 panorama ( if have 120 film carrier ) .

3 hours ago, Minilab service said:

To connect scanner is enough system software. Driver is included there.

Install HS-1800 system software. On W10 64 bit should be HS-1800 system software version 7.00 and newer. The latest - version 7.10 .

On version 7.00 driver is without digital signature. To install it on virtual Windows need temporary disable driver signature enforcement. To do it need restart with options ( select troubleshoot and disable it ) .

64 bit .inf file is WinUsbDrv\01009 ( file HS-1800.inf ) This driver is without digital signature. 
When driver is with signature 64 bit .inf file is \WinUsbDrvWithCat\01009 ( file HS-1800.inf ) This driver has digital signature. It is only on version 7.10 .

Access .inf file from device manager and you install driver. If any problems to install driver can run InstDrv_amd64.bat ( the same folders ) .

EZ controller is just scanning interface. The latest EZ controller version is 8.10 . On W10 should be version 6.60 and later.

On EZ controller can install optional modules. For scanner at least install Digital Masking, Red Eye and 6 x 12 panorama ( if have 120 film carrier ) .

I'm sorry but I don't think I'm following what you're saying. I've connected the scanner to the computer, it's making a sound like it's running but it doesn't show up on any device manager - not on the iMac, not on the VirtualBox Windows 10. Attached are photos of the cables used - you can see the dongle with the red light on. The scanner itself lights green at the top.

If I remember correctly I saw something about a .iso in the video for the LS600. Would I need the same .iso file for this scanner?

IMG_1443.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

On virtual Windows you have install HS-1800 system software. Can't use LS-600 system software ( because it is different.

After that on virtual Windows temporary disable driver signature enforcement. If installed HS-1800 system software 7.10 then do not need it.

Forward USB port where connected scanner into virtual Windows. After that you should see scanner on device manager. It will be without driver.

Install driver manually. Select to install, brose to file HS-1800.inf and open it. Agree to install. After that on device manager should be HS-1800 scanner.

If do not see scanner - run InstDrv_amd64.bat ( run as administrator ) .

When you connect, or disconnect powered scanner USB to computer Windows device manager should "blink" ( see it when found new equipment, or something disconnected ) . If do not see this "blink" then here some problem with scanner hardware ( external USB cable, internal USB extension cable, USB port on computer, scanner control pcb, or missing 5V power supply ) .

i disabled driver signature enforcement. couldn't forward the scanner. the noritsu scanner that is there is from an old LS600. i tried to find the "HS-1800.inf" file and nothing. but if you look at the top, the second question mark is the HS-1800. once i clicked it the "help" window showed up. but for some reason i still cannot see this scanner.

VirtualBox_you should use this_05_03_2024_19_05_53.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 7.00.20 PM.png

When you connect, or disconnect powered scanner USB to computer Windows device manager should "blink" ( see it when found new equipment, or something disconnected ) . If do not see this "blink" then here some problem with scanner hardware. Try connect - disconnect USB mouse. Then you see the same "blink".

If computer doesn't see scanner connected to USB then here is problem with hardware. Can be :
Bad computer USB port. Connect to port, which works when there connected some other equipment ( for example USB mouse ) 
Bad USB cable between computer and scanner. Test cable, or replace it.
Bad USB extension inside scanner. Connect external USB cable directly into scanner control pcb
Missing 5V power supply. Check scanner control pcb power suppliers ( 
 J/P9 pin 1 5V , pin 3 gnd , pin 5 24V ) 
Not working AFC/SCANNER CONTROL PCB

You need to determine if there is an issue with the scanner or the software installation.

The easiest way of doing this is to plug the scanner into a Windows PC or Laptop and check if the scanner shows up in the Windows device manager.

You don’t need to load any software for this test.

If the scanner does not show, it means there is a hardware issue with the scanner or a bad USB cable. If it does show, it will be a software issue.

9 hours ago, Minilab service said:

When you connect, or disconnect powered scanner USB to computer Windows device manager should "blink" ( see it when found new equipment, or something disconnected ) . If do not see this "blink" then here some problem with scanner hardware. Try connect - disconnect USB mouse. Then you see the same "blink".

If computer doesn't see scanner connected to USB then here is problem with hardware. Can be :
Bad computer USB port. Connect to port, which works when there connected some other equipment ( for example USB mouse ) 
Bad USB cable between computer and scanner. Test cable, or replace it.
Bad USB extension inside scanner. Connect external USB cable directly into scanner control pcb
Missing 5V power supply. Check scanner control pcb power suppliers ( 
 J/P9 pin 1 5V , pin 3 gnd , pin 5 24V ) 
Not working AFC/SCANNER CONTROL PCB

unfortunately there is no blinking, no sound to acknowledge that a device was added to the USB port. the mouse is acknowledged. below i have some good news and some bad news. I'm sure you'll be able to tell which is which.

answering in order you wrote

1. USB ports on my iMac all work - I've connected mouse, keyboard, disk drive, USB storage, external hard drives to all 4 USB ports.
2. i have tested three USB cables - one i used for previous LS600 scanner, one for a printer, one that was shipped with the HS-1800 scanner.
3. i was thinking the same, that it was bad extension inside scanner and figure out how to connect directly to where the port is - i will need to figure out how to open it correctly, find the control pcb and connect.
4. the power supply i'm using is also from my old LS600 scanner. i will check the cable when i get home to make sure it's J/59 pin 1 5v etc.
5. i am unsure of where/what the AFC/SCANNER CONTROL PCB is... are you referring to the 120 AFC II holder? or is this something that is located within the scanner, say near the control pcb.

when attempting to install driver again, i clicked on setup and let everything run. when it came to the name of the scanner and the folder it can be found in i tried to apply it to "accessories" because "accessibility" wasn't working. still nothing. when i get home i'm going to try and turn off signature driver, run the setup, and turn off signature driver again. hopefully that will help? we'll see.

let me reassure you that i would much prefer to use the VirtaulBox/virtual machine to scan my images as i prefer Mac over PC. but...

i was able to use an old PC with Windows 7 on it. i got the driver to work, the scanner connected. i will have to send screenshots later as i am currently at work when i saw your reply. what i wasn't able to see was the options(?) menu for the scanner - where you calibrate the scanner, make adjustments, enter the 2206(?) password for more menu options.
next i was able to install EZ Controller. wow.... so. much. to do there. i accidentally clicked OK when trying to setup the input data for scan resolution and such and now i can't scan anything because the "input data is not correct". there's a lot to learn with this. gonna have to figure out how to set up EZ Controller correctly to get the best scans out of this unit.

If scanner works on W7 ( see scanner on device manager ) then it should work on virtual W10. 

Scanner adjustments are on scanner maintenance utility. To see all settings need enter service password ( 2260 ) . Basic adjustments ( light source calibration, sensor intensity calibration )  can do without password.

On new installed EZ controller need program scanning service and print channels ( at least one ) . Resolution depends what you select on print channel.

If need can connect online, install software and make settings. Write private message if you need it.

44 minutes ago, Dave S said:

You need to determine if there is an issue with the scanner or the software installation.

The easiest way of doing this is to plug the scanner into a Windows PC or Laptop and check if the scanner shows up in the Windows device manager.

You don’t need to load any software for this test.

If the scanner does not show, it means there is a hardware issue with the scanner or a bad USB cable. If it does show, it will be a software issue.

please see my response above. i would also like to mention that i'm running an older version of VirtualBox - version 5.3

On 3/6/2024 at 7:40 AM, Minilab service said:

If scanner works on W7 ( see scanner on device manager ) then it should work on virtual W10. 

Scanner adjustments are on scanner maintenance utility. To see all settings need enter service password ( 2260 ) . Basic adjustments ( light source calibration, sensor intensity calibration )  can do without password.

On new installed EZ controller need program scanning service and print channels ( at least one ) . Resolution depends what you select on print channel.

If need can connect online, install software and make settings. Write private message if you need it.

hey there! the day got away from me and with time difference i didn't want to bother you.

luckily the place i bought the scanner from was able to help set up the machine on the computer with Windows 7 - i am still going to attempt to set up the machine on virtual Windows 10. they were able to get the majority of the settings in place, so i'm pretty much set right now, i just have to get used to using this software. RAW files weren't found but they will send instructions on how to do that soon. but if you know how please let me know i would greatly appreciate it!

some time ago my friend and i were using this same computer to scan with an LS600 and Infranview is set up on the computer. when saving as TIFF file i'm seeing that the image icon (see attached photo and sorry for terrible quality) shows as Infranview logo(?).

also, pressing F3 to save the files? i'm not sure when to press it.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.46.00 AM.jpeg

F3 on big keyboard = ORDER on small Noritsu keyboard. Have to press, when finished order ( scanned film, or few of them ) . When you press F3 - order processed.

File format can change on scanning service. You can program few services and enter service which you need. On service can select file format ( tiff , jpg, bmp )  and picture quality.

RAW files are in folder EZController_Orders . Not sure, that you need these files.

Gotcha. Have been doing that on the “Main” screen.

Yeah, I believe you’re correct - I won’t need RAW files. Am content with the JPG, TIFF files.

Last night I learned the hard way that you can not close EZ Controller down by selecting “quit application”. The whole software I guess uninstalled. I have nothing there for EZ Contoller and will have to set it up again later tonight. Fun times…

You can press  "quit an application" . I always do it. No problems with program startup after that. Software not uninstalled. 

Look do you see Sentinel dongle on device manager. Might be dongle is not connected, or not forwarded into virtual computer.

File format, quality and file location are entered on scanning services.

that's so strange. prior to quitting the application i was able to see the EZ Launcher icon but now it no longer shows up anywhere.

currently all software and HS-1800 scanner is connected to computer with Windows 7. the computer does recognize the Sentinel dongle on device manager. the USB would show a red light when plugged.

i'm going to take a chance and re-install the software just in case.

apologies for the super late response as i am just seeing this now, and will definitely make a shortcut. thanks!

i do have another question about the HS-1800. when scanning 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 film the scanner will ask to adjust the scan format. which i then select 6x6 etc. there is also the  option "W" (for wide) for wider format scanning. the issue i'm having is that when i scan 6x4.5 format EZ controller automatically scans the 6x4.5 format without having the option to change it to the 6x4.5W format. i have noticed that the automatic 6x4.5 scann cuts off some sections of my images. would it be possible to change the format to the 6x4.5W? or change settings so that the 6x4.5W is the automatic pre-scan? hope this makes sense.

scanner cuts out portions of 6x4.5 images with automatically choosing 6x4.5 format scan, can i switch to the 6x4.5W option in preview scan/would it be possible to change setting so 6x4.5W is the automatic format selected?

• 3 weeks later...