Slight Red Tint on Negative Film Scans

NYCFL

Been noticing a slight issue with film scans for the past couple of months. I’ve been noticing that, before correction, the  scans are slightly red. I have to add a bit of cyan to correct it. It seems to be in all film stocks and it shows up regardless of what Noritsu scanner I use.

My question is could this be a scanner issue or could the chemistry be slightly contaminated? For reference, we have three HS1800s that we use and a Noritsu V50. The chemistry we use is Fuji NEGACOLOR. I checked/calibrated all the pumps, all filters are good, temperatures are good/calibrated, and computer monitors are all color calibrated as well. Are there other settings I should mess with in EZ Controller or do I need to look into the chemistry?

Side question, does anyone know if Kodak chemistry is going to be put into  production still by PSI? 

Edited by NYCFL

If the same issue is happening on all the scanners It's more likely to be an issue on the film developing side.

The only way to properly know what is going on with the chemistry is to process and read film control strips.

Are the replenisher rep rates correct for the chemistry you are using?

On 3/16/2024 at 8:24 AM, Dave S said:

If the same issue is happening on all the scanners It's more likely to be an issue on the film developing side.

The only way to properly know what is going on with the chemistry is to process and read film control strips.

Are the replenisher rep rates correct for the chemistry you are using?

Yes all rep rates and everything is properly Calibrated/working. We run quality checks and calibrations monthly. The Control Strip we run daily and everything was within spec. We did just switch to a new high volume developer, Fuji CN16 MV, I did get ahold of tech and he did advise me that it’s hard to make a developer that is perfect for every stock. The tint is honestly very very minor but nothing the slope correction option can’t fix. I just wanted to narrow it down to see if it’s from the processing side or if the calibration of the scanners were off. 

23 hours ago, oliphaz said:

+1 to @Dave S - Run a control strip.

I don't know how people run a film processing lab without running regular control strips. You shouldn't be guessing with your client's film. 

Control strips get ran daily and was the first thing we did when switching developers. As I explained to Dave, all deviations are within range. What I’m getting from all this is different developers have different characteristics just like B&W. It is a very slight tint. We were just using the same color developer for so long that the slight difference in color made me raise an eyebrow. We don’t “guess” with customer’s film. 

5 hours ago, NYCFL said:

Control strips get ran daily and was the first thing we did when switching developers. As I explained to Dave, all deviations are within range. What I’m getting from all this is different developers have different characteristics just like B&W. It is a very slight tint. We were just using the same color developer for so long that the slight difference in color made me raise an eyebrow. We don’t “guess” with customer’s film. 

Great to hear. You didn't originally mention anything about running or plotting control strips. If everything is coming back within tolerance I wouldn't worry about it too much - it could even itself out after the tank is well seasoned.

I'll take you off the list of labs I loathe 😅

2 hours ago, oliphaz said:

Great to hear. You didn't originally mention anything about running or plotting control strips. If everything is coming back within tolerance I wouldn't worry about it too much - it could even itself out after the tank is well seasoned.

I'll take you off the list of labs I loathe 😅

Yes, that is my fault. We have entire checklists we go through when we change things as well as daily checklists so no worries there. I have had good habits and practices instilled in me early in my career. Even when one thing is slightly off or different alarms start going off in my head haha This developer is more economical but I may consider switching back to our original developer when we get through this one if we continue to get the same result.

I think you have answered your own question! The change happened after you started using a different developer.

I know you said the plots are within range, but is there a difference between the plots with the old developer compared to the new developer?

Also check the circulation pumps and the sparge pipe inside the CD tank are not partially blocked, poor circulation can cause processing issues.

On 3/27/2024 at 5:26 PM, Dave S said:

I think you have answered your own question! The change happened after you started using a different developer.

I know you said the plots are within range, but is there a difference between the plots with the old developer compared to the new developer?

Also check the circulation pumps and the sparge pipe inside the CD tank are not partially blocked, poor circulation can cause processing issues.

Yes, I checked that all pumps were working prior so no issues there. However, I did forget about the sparge pipe. I did check it and it wasn't blocked at all. It was cleaned during our last maintenance day so I didn't expect for it to be anyway.

I did find the culprit though. It ended up being a setting in EZ controller. We di upgrade to a later version of EZ Controller recently and I restored everything from a back up but when I went into Operator selectors in image processing, I noticed that basic color correction switch was turned on. When I turned it off and increased "CF" slightly and the slight red tint went away. This solved the issue on all the scanners. But while I was in there I noticed some other things that I have no idea about. In the "scanner" drop down there is an option that says "setup". What is that setup option for? Is it related to Input Profile Setting? I attached a screenshot the the menu I am talking about. I tried looking through the EZ controller help file and manuals and could not find any info on it.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 155136.png

45 minutes ago, NYCFL said:

Yes, I checked that all pumps were working prior so no issues there. However, I did forget about the sparge pipe. I did check it and it wasn't blocked at all. It was cleaned during our last maintenance day so I didn't expect for it to be anyway.

I did find the culprit though. It ended up being a setting in EZ controller. We di upgrade to a later version of EZ Controller recently and I restored everything from a back up but when I went into Operator selectors in image processing, I noticed that basic color correction switch was turned on. When I turned it off and increased "CF" slightly and the slight red tint went away. This solved the issue on all the scanners. But while I was in there I noticed some other things that I have no idea about. In the "scanner" drop down there is an option that says "setup". What is that setup option for? Is it related to Input Profile Setting? I attached a screenshot the the menu I am talking about. I tried looking through the EZ controller help file and manuals and could not find any info on it.

You didn't mention anything about changing the software/ settings on all the scanners prior to the problem. We can only go on the information that you tell us! But thanks for letting us know your findings and how you solved the issue.

Details for the Scanner correction switch are below

scanner switch.jpg

Edited by Dave S