Noritsu Scanner S3 Errors

boolter19

Hi guys,

hope you all are doing well. I need some help from all of you...again!!

My scanner does not work since years. Now it does not even turn on, it looks completely.... dead. 

My main concern is that we have this scanner but actually we cannot scan anything and probably we are losing some money. (We have a quite small family-run photolab).
I know the importance and value of this scan and so, after (almost) completely treated our machine QSS 3203, I am now trying working on that.

It shows errors: 6327 - 0002 ; 6306 - 0002. 
Basically, as soon as we do any operation involving the scanner, the errors start.

We have already reached Noritsu support who offered us the new hs1800 (20k) with a free pick up of our S3(!!!!) and the possibility of rearranging the machine to be able to work without a scanner(this service for a fee). Obviosly we don't have so much money for a new scanner. It will be great if we can fix it with small price.

Do you have any tips? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hello.

6306 - 0002 means scanner Iris operation error - the IRIS sensor does not turn LIGHT even though the zoom lens operated for a specified pulse counterclockwise in its initial operation.
Check IRIS sensor connection circuit. Test IRIS from output check menu.

6327 - 0002 means scanner light source section temperature adjustment error - the temperature of LED light source section has exceeded the upper limit range.
Look what is light source temperature. Check temperature adjustment circuit and light source fans.

Instead of S3 can connect other scanner model. Can be connected S1-II, S2, S3, or S4.

HS-1800, LS-1100, or LS-600 can be used also. To the same computer can connect QSS3203.

Scanner on QSS3203 is not necessary. Just enough install other software. 

Write private message, if need help to repair scanner, help to run scanner without scanner, or connect scanner with USB.

Thanks Minilab, I will write you a pm soon.

We are located in Italy. The noritsu support is very efficient here and they have solved a lot of problems since '90 with the machines and any other stuff. Last errors (paper sensor causing paper jammed errors) we solved by ourself because time and money. I would like to do the same with scanner problems but it looks very difficult.

By the way, Noritsu rapidly found a great solution offering new scanners but we can't afford that right now. 

Do you guys think is possible to fix it with a reasonable price?

The 6327-0002 error is probably due to the fans next to the light source being clogged up with dust.
Remove the covers and remove the 3 screws that fix the light source and gently lift up the light source to access the 2 fans.

Also clean everything inside with air and a soft brush. Check the 3 fans on the back of the scanner are operating.

Sometimes the 6306-0002 error will clear, after pressing no clear a number of times.

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. Fans are not working at all, everything about the scanner is not working right now. It probably doesn't even turn on. I think something has burned up because we smelled plastic or something similar few weeks ago.

Before this, we had red led light on the front of the scanner. 

Yes probably a failed power supply.

If you take off the back cover, and remove the screws on the top half of the panel and open it, plug it in and check if any of the green LED's are not illuminated.

Some bad news today.. 

This morning we are facing ARCNET errros (printers, D-ICE, PCB etc, everything ARCNET is faulty. We cannot print anything. Plus we have our 6327 error but this time it do not go away. We cannot use anything.
Do you guys have any advice for that? 

We have turned off normally the machine yesterday but this morning she made the daily morning routine and everything is not working. We are quite depressed at the moment. I feel I made some chaos trying to keep back working the s3..

Hi guys, some good news this afternoon..

First of all I want to buy you all a virtual beer for the tips and help you provide on this forum!!
We have cleaned up some optic fiber and removed all the (few) dust flying around there. From that moment the machine has been running again. 
I am very lucky, that's for sure!!!!

I would like to share with you all the photo from inside the scanner' panel. What do you think about that?

Scanner s3 ps2 burned.jpg

2 hours ago, boolter19 said:

Hi!

Do you think is possible to change only the dead capacitor (condensatore) ? 
Can this work be done by an electronics technician/engineer?

If you are very lucky it could just be some bad capacitors and a blown fuse.
Without doing some measurement tests it's impossible to know for sure.

You can buy a brand new TDK-Lambda power supply (smaller updated model) for less than €100 so it really depends on how much it is going to cost to get it repaired.

Edited by Dave S

6 hours ago, kodak_service said:

If the minilab works and does not show any errors, then this power supply is working. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Hi Kodak Service,

thanks for the reply. We are still facing error 6327 - 0002 ; 6306 - 0002 every morning. This error persists but after 15-20 error clears it goes away until the following day.

1. Immediately after turning on the minilab, go to Menu → Extension → Maintenance → Input Check → Input section - LED Light Source Unit - LED Thermosensor and observe the temperature dynamics of the LED block. This information will help you find the cause of the problem.
2. If error 6306-0002 appears, go to Menu → Extension → Maintenance → Output Check → Input section -Scanner Unit - Iris Motor and do several cycles of turning the iris motor on and off. In this case, you need to monitor the status of the iris sensor on the display. If in some cases the iris sensor goes into light state, this means that the flat cable in the moving part of the scanner has broken.

2 hours ago, boolter19 said:

Hi Kodak Service,

thanks for the reply. We are still facing error 6327 - 0002 ; 6306 - 0002 every morning. This error persists but after 15-20 error clears it goes away until the following day.

I really don't understand your postings on here. All the necessary advice has already been given to you by both Minilab service and myself.

Clean and check the fans next to the LED light source are working, and replace the 24v power supply and you have a good chance of solving the issues.

On 3/27/2024 at 10:43 PM, boolter19 said:

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. Fans are not working at all, everything about the scanner is not working right now. It probably doesn't even turn on. I think something has burned up because we smelled plastic or something similar few weeks ago.

Before this, we had red led light on the front of the scanner.

If none of the fans are running it will be because the 24v power supply has stopped working, if there is some issue with the power supply, it will go into protection mode and shutdown. Personally I would just replace it with a new one that way it eliminates any doubt.

I kind of feel I'm wasting my time here.

Edited by Dave S

Hi Dave,

I am just trying to take as much information as possible because I'm not familiar with that.

Your advices are still great and the best option I have. I am really thankful for this but can't understand what's wrong with my requests.

Next step will be replacing PS2 then wait what's going to happen next.

Every additional information I have are welcome.