Fuji SP-3000 Scanning 70mm negative film

samgray96

Is it possible to scan 70mm film if a mask was made to fit or is the CCD image area too small?

I have some old negatives from the 1800's of my grandfathers which I would like to scan at my lab, but the biggest scanner I have is SP-3000, other than flatbed junk scanner.

I know you can get masks that allow you to scan the film borders of 120 film so that means the scan area is at least 63-65mm high right? the image area of these negatives is about 65-66mm high by about 90mm wide (so should fit in the length of 6x9 and they fit fine through the calibration mask... so my hope is that the total image area possible is the same size as the calibration mask?

Thanks for any help

The biggest SP3000 masks are 6 x 8 and 6 x 9 . 6 x 9 mask frame size - 56 mm × 84 mm .  6 x 8 mask frame size - 56  mm × 77 mm . Film dimensions are about 5 mm bigger.

Calibration mask is just to calibrate scanner light for manual carrier. It is impossible to make mask registration, or scan images.

Each mask has code. Pins press different sensors and software can see, which mask is fitted. For SP3000 are 6 x 4.5 , 6 x 6 , 6 x 7 , 6 x 8 and 6 x 9 masks.

CCD has proportions 1 x 1.33 (  1536 x 2048 pixels) . The best fits 6 x 8 frame ( proportions 1:1.37 ) .

What is your film frame size? Might be would be possible to scan this film if to put it into scanner different direction.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:52 PM, Minilab service said:

The biggest SP3000 masks are 6 x 8 and 6 x 9 . 6 x 9 mask frame size - 56 mm × 84 mm .  6 x 8 mask frame size - 56  mm × 77 mm . Film dimensions are about 5 mm bigger.

Calibration mask is just to calibrate scanner light for manual carrier. It is impossible to make mask registration, or scan images.

Each mask has code. Pins press different sensors and software can see, which mask is fitted. For SP3000 are 6 x 4.5 , 6 x 6 , 6 x 7 , 6 x 8 and 6 x 9 masks.

CCD has proportions 1 x 1.33 (  1536 x 2048 pixels) . The best fits 6 x 8 frame ( proportions 1:1.37 ) .

What is your film frame size? Might be would be possible to scan this film if to put it into scanner different direction.

Hi Minilab service,

Thanks for getting back to me, sorry for the delay in my reply!

I have measured the image area of the negatives and it is 62mm x 108 mm, I have also measured the whole scan deck area which is 74mm x 110mm, although I'm not too worried about the length as with most images there is a lot of nonsense at the top or bottom of the image that could be cropped off, I have also produced a test scan which I have attached by tricking the scanner into thinking the 6x9 mask is inserted and trapping the negative under the calibration mask although the autofocus didn't work as I can see that the masks are 3mm thick so I need to space the negative off the main deck by at least 3mm to be within the autofocus range, I've attached my test scan with the mag level set to the minimum (obviously way too far hence the white area) I'm guessing another limitation I'm going to have is the gap in the flip down cover which is only 57mm x 85mm... I'm wondering if I could remove that top cover and maybe 3D print an alternative with a larger aperture, as I'm assuming it's needed to prevent light ingress during the scan - my intention would be to 3D print a mask that will clamp the negative the same as the official masks but no sense going down that road until I can bodge a satisfactory test scan with the maximum scan area 🙂

I have also attached my second test scan with the negative spaced up 3mm and the autofocus worked this time (ignore the white area at the top left that's a bit of my spacing card lol)

I have of course also had to reduce the res of the scans to allow upload 🙂

Any further tips would be greatly appreciated, and I hope that my discoveries will also help someone else in future!

Thanks

Sam

R1-09990-00002.jpg

R1-09989-0000.JPG

62mm x 108 mm frame  proportions are 1 x 1.74 . 6 x 9 frame has 56 mm × 84 mm size and proportions are 1.5 . Here the best what can be used. Proportion difference is only 16 % , length difference  24 mm and width difference 6 mm.

At the bottom where you have 74mm x 110mm area is not a scanner. Here is light source. Scanner CCD unit is on the top. CCD has 1536 x 2048 pixels resolution ( proportions 1 x 1.33 ) . CCD is after zoom, so you can scan various formats. I think zoom will be enough to scan 108 mm length.

Yes, on 3D printer make new 6x9 mask top cover ( with 62mm x 108 mm size ) . Might be bottom part need modify also ( to fit your film there ) . Go to mask registration menu and try to register it. If registration fail then try to print top part with size 72 x 108 ( proportions 1 : 1.5 - the same as original 6 x 9 ) .

You can't put film under mask. Focus will be out of range. Film can put only inside mask. Focus adjustment can try to make with your film. If will not work - adjust with standard 6 x 9 film.

To scan 62mm x 108 mm frame need create 254 x 442 mm print channel. It is the biggest, which matches your frame. You can zoom in, or zoom out to scan all frame.
The biggest SP3000 print size is 305 x 457, but it would be too wide ( or too short ) to scan your frame.

3 hours ago, Minilab service said:

62mm x 108 mm frame  proportions are 1 x 1.74 . 6 x 9 frame has 56 mm × 84 mm size and proportions are 1.5 . Here the best what can be used. Proportion difference is only 16 % , length difference  24 mm and width difference 6 mm.

At the bottom where you have 74mm x 110mm area is not a scanner. Here is light source. Scanner CCD unit is on the top. CCD has 1536 x 2048 pixels resolution ( proportions 1 x 1.33 ) . CCD is after zoom, so you can scan various formats. I think zoom will be enough to scan 108 mm length.

Yes, on 3D printer make new 6x9 mask top cover ( with 62mm x 108 mm size ) . Might be bottom part need modify also ( to fit your film there ) . Go to mask registration menu and try to register it. If registration fail then try to print top part with size 72 x 108 ( proportions 1 : 1.5 - the same as original 6 x 9 ) .

You can't put film under mask. Focus will be out of range. Film can put only inside mask. Focus adjustment can try to make with your film. If will not work - adjust with standard 6 x 9 film.

To scan 62mm x 108 mm frame need create 254 x 442 mm print channel. It is the biggest, which matches your frame. You can zoom in, or zoom out to scan all frame.
The biggest SP3000 print size is 305 x 457, but it would be too wide ( or too short ) to scan your frame.

Thankyou for this advise, I will test and get back to you

Scanner Version is 1.8-0E-016 connected to Windows 7 MS01 V4.2 server in case this matters 🙂

Thanks

Sam

All SP3000 software versions have the same maintenance interface, so mask should be registered and focus adjusted the same.

Scanner system software can be upgraded from 1.8-0E-016 to 3.0-AE-822 ( if to install MS11 2.0-0E-030 ) .
Server software from version 4.2 ( W7 32 bit ) can be upgraded to version 10.0 ( W10 64 bit ) .

23 hours ago, Minilab service said:

All SP3000 software versions have the same maintenance interface, so mask should be registered and focus adjusted the same.

Scanner system software can be upgraded from 1.8-0E-016 to 3.0-AE-822 ( if to install MS11 2.0-0E-030 ) .
Server software from version 4.2 ( W7 32 bit ) can be upgraded to version 10.0 ( W10 64 bit ) .

When you say mask registered, does that mean I could register a custom sized one? Pick a button press combination that’s not already assigned?

Do you have the scanner software? I have a MS01 v10 main server which has MS11 and SP500 connected that I could clone if that would work also, obviously change computer name and disable printer components, assume scanner software v3 better? Still requires windows 2000?

Thanks

Sam

Go to maintenance menu. There open mask registration menu and register your new mask position.

Print channel is size, which you use to scan, or print image. For your 62mm x 108 mm frame the best print size would be 254 x 442 mm ( both have proportions 1 x 1.74 ) .

All canner software versions can be installed only on Windows 2000 PRO . Doesn't matter which software there - FDIA ( A1 ) , FE ( S1 ) , or MS ( newer S1 loaded with MS11 ) . On your scanner installed A1 ( FDIA software module ) . FDIA is the oldest Fuji software package.

MS11 should be for SP3000. This software should be installed on scanner computer.
MS11 for SP500 is different. This software installed on server.

To clone and rename computer is not enough. If you change computer name sql server name remains the same. Server connected to SP3000 doesn't need software for SP500. To SP3000 installed server. To SP500 connected server with scanner support. I think more easy will be to make new instillation. 

If need more information about software - write private message.

1 hour ago, Minilab service said:

Go to maintenance menu. There open mask registration menu and register your new mask position.

Print channel is size, which you use to scan, or print image. For your 62mm x 108 mm frame the best print size would be 254 x 442 mm ( both have proportions 1 x 1.74 ) .

All canner software versions can be installed only on Windows 2000 PRO . Doesn't matter which software there - FDIA ( A1 ) , FE ( S1 ) , or MS ( newer S1 loaded with MS11 ) . On your scanner installed A1 ( FDIA software module ) . FDIA is the oldest Fuji software package.

MS11 should be for SP3000. This software should be installed on scanner computer.

To clone and rename computer is not enough. If you change computer name sql server name remains the same. Server connected to SP3000 doesn't need software for SP500. To SP3000 installed server. To SP500 connected server with scanner support. I think more easy will be to make new instillation. 

Thankyou, I have sent you private message about software 🙂 

On 4/13/2024 at 6:10 PM, Minilab service said:

Thankyou for your advise on this, still struggling with this, I couldn't work out how to setup another mask size other than the largest available 6x9, although there are plenty more pin combinations available to use if the software would allow it, I tried a scan using my cardboard mount cut to the exact size but had to use the 6x9 registration pins which crops the image, even without the carrier hood and with the mag level set to the lowest you still get the giant white area (see attached) I have also attached a photograph of the mask setup for reference so you can see the whole image

Thanks

Sam

R1-09996-00002.jpg

IMG_48092.jpg

Leave pressed pins for 6 x 9 mask. This size is closest to your film frame size.

Your mask position is incorrect. One side of frame was removed and on other side you see carton.  Did you register your new mask position? Registration was successful? To register mask just go into maintenance menu and register mask position. When make mask registration film should be removed.

If software will not allow to register 62mm x 108 mm mask then try to make 72 x 108 mm mask ( length correct, but 10 mm too wide ) . Here will be the same proportions, which you have on 6 x 9 mask. 

Before scan select 254 x 442 mm print size. Each frame can zoom in, or zoom out ( to see full frame ) . 

12 minutes ago, Minilab service said:

Leave pressed pins for 6 x 9 mask. This size is closest to your film frame size.

Your mask position is incorrect. One side of frame was removed and on other side you see carton.  Did you register your new mask position? Registration was successful? To register mask just go into maintenance menu and register mask position. When make mask registration film should be removed.

If software will not allow to register 62mm x 108 mm mask then try to make 72 x 108 mm mask ( length correct, but 10 mm too wide ) . Here will be the same proportions, which you have on 6 x 9 mask. 

Before scan select 254 x 442 mm print size. Each frame can zoom in, or zoom out ( to see full frame ) . 

I did, although I cannot expand the box on the position registration page, I am not worried about the part of the cardboard showing in the image at this time as it's only prototype part, please see below for what I mean, I have done an image without the film (correct way) and also with film to show that you can see much more of the image than I have been able to scan (albeit not all of it)

MaskWithoutFilm.PNG

MaskWithFilm.PNG

Did you press "Auto correct" ? Have do it without film. After that mask position should move and you can register it. 

When mask registered you can insert film and see how frame is displayed. The best position when mask is in the middle. During scan you can zoom in scanned area. CCD will see whole frame. When selected 254 x 442 mm print size scanning proportions should match whole frame.

23 minutes ago, Minilab service said:

Did you press "Auto correct" ? Have do it without film. After that mask position should move and you can register it. 

When mask registered you can insert film and see how frame is displayed. The best position when mask is in the middle. During scan you can zoom in scanned area. CCD will see whole frame. When selected 254 x 442 mm print size scanning proportions should match whole frame.

Yes I did, it doesn't move the white box, it needs to be expanded to the whole area but the buttons only move the box around, when you say the zoom during scan I assume you mean the Mag level on the far right? that just gives more white area for me...

Hello.

I expected if you increase magnification you can scan bigger area. It is strange, that instead of picture you see just white frame. Did you try to make final scanning? On scanned image white frame also? 
Open 0323 menu. Note magnification value for 120 6x9 frame. Try increase. it. Might be after that you can see bigger area ( not sure about that ) .