LPS24 Pro - Processor controller resets to default time, date, settings after each time powering down

Andy98

Hi All,

We just had to change the processor controller board (logic board) on our lps24 pro. luckily we had a spare that we threw in and it got us operational again. The issue we're having now is that all our settings/configuration (time & date too) get wiped every night when we power the machine down. it seems like when a pc has a dead onboard battery and it loses configuration on each power cycle. Is the replacement board I installed bad too? can I replace the onboard timeclock battery so I don't have to replace the logic board again? any input is greatly appreciated!! 

Where you are losing time settings - on Windows, or on minilab timer settings?

If you are losing time on Windows then need replace motherboard BIOS backup battery.  If your LPS-24PRO computer is standard ( PC-NRT-RS10 ) then here is Ricoh FB11G motherboard. It is Supermicro P8SGA-V . Here standard CR2032 coin battery. Try to change it.

Yes, real time clock chip has internal Lithium battery. Usually chip is ST M48T86PC1 .  Even on chip cover written, that chip contains lithium cell.

On service manual real time chip is Maxim DS12C887 .

ST M48T86PC1 and Maxim DS12C887 are obsoleted. Both they have substitute Analog Devices DS12C887+ . Easy can find to buy it and replace on processor cpu pcb.

There is 24 pin socket, so it is easy replace chip. Chips are PCDIP24 ( M48T86PC1 ) or  24-EDIP ( DS12C887 ) .

Old board chip battery will be old and discharged. Better to buy new chip. It is cheap.

DS12C887 and DS12C887+ are absolutely the same. Just DS12C887+ has lead free pins. Chip sells Analog Devices, but it has Dallas logo. Dallas was sold to Maxim Integrated. Latter Analog Devices bough Maxim Integrated. Now Dallas and Maxim - part of Analog devices.

One more option is to replace internal battery, or connect external 3 V Li-on battery, but why to do it, when new chip is really cheap :
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc-maxim-integrated/DS12C887/956875 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2024 at 12:41 PM, Andy98 said:

Thanks everyone for advice and information. I ordered a new RTC chip but will attempt to swap the one off my old board today. Will update with results.

Hi all!

I got around to swapping that RTC chip out and it fixed our issue. The controller now keeps the time, and temperature settings as it should!

Thanks again for the advice! 😀👍